Thursday, September 18, 2008

Expectations

I've been working with some young people at church lately. I've been trying to use them as much as I can for small repair projects that they can handle. I am also working to try to include them in some regular BIG church duties. When I started this I got all kinds of feed back from other adults. It ranged from "that is awesome" to "are you nuts".

I have not been to surprised by the comments, it is the folks that have been giving them. You would think it would be our older seniors, the ones how have been around for 50 or 60 years. You would be wrong, they actual have been very positive about it, encouraging even. The next most obvious are the young adults, I count my self in this group due to mental state rather then pure age. No they are are very open to it. Yes, it is the middle aged group. Hard to believe. I guess it has to do with expectations. What we expect from our youth.

I think if you expect a kid to not show up or not do the things they are asked then they will not disappoint you. On the other hand, if you expect them to be a part of something bigger than themselves, be confident that they can do things, then the may just surprise you. I don't kid myself, I know they don't have my work ethic or my know how. It took me 42 years to get what I have and I am still in development. My dad expected me to do the things he wanted me to do. He taught me what I needed to know and he let me make my own mistakes. That is what you do with kids you love.

I have great expectations for our youth. I know they will make mistakes, they will even fail, but that's ok. So will I, so will you, so will we all. That's not what's important. What we do when they do is what matters. I say lets set the bar high and give them room to make the big mistakes. If they take the chance and fly great, if they crash lets pick them up, dust them off and love them and let them try again.

What do you expect from your kids?

No comments: