Monday, August 1, 2011

The way of the worm

Every morning as I walk into work from the I-95 parking lot I pass the fresh green grass the is the front lawn of my company. I usually arrive just after the sprinklers shut off. I've started to notice earth worms, everywhere. I have concluded that the vibration and increased water level from the sprinklers drive them to the surface and then as the ground settles and the water drops they return to the safety and comfort of the green grass. Some, however, don't make it. The ones in the center fair very well. The ones on the edges, not so much. You see, on the edge, when the sprinklers come on and shake up their lives the worms will sometimes go towards the middle and there they are safe other times they end up on the sidewalk and that's not a good place to be when you are a worm. On the sidewalk it gets hot and people are walking on top of you and eventually your lost. Some head bake to the safety of the green grass and they make it. Some just keep going and soon nothing is recognizable. Soon you are on the blacktop and the sun is up. You, the worm, are cooked and it's over.

Day after day I ask myself ,and the worms, how did you end up here where you don't belong? Then it hit me, these aren't worms. These are people. Yes, people. The green grass is the presents of Christ sent by God to keep and protect us. We have a job to do to keep the green grass living and growing. We get shook up from time to time but if we just hold fast and head to the center (Jesus) and stay strong we can work our selves deeper into him and eventually no amount of disturbance can force us out. If we get on the edge, we may catch some heat and even get stepped on a time or two but if we head back to the safety of the green grass we can once again head to the center and reclaim our spot and get back to our purpose of working and growing the green grass (the kingdom of God) and live for eternity in it's comfort. If we find or self on the sidewalk and just continue to press on in vain hoping that we live long enough to so other place to call home we will almost surly perish on the hot black top.

I have found my self stopping and picking up the odd worm and tossing him back to the green grass. After all, he didn't want to be on the hot sidewalk he just got turned around and lost his way. I know I've been there at times and I wished some good hearted person would have picked me up and tossed me back.

I know this story is a little bazaar. I know I'm sometimes a little bit crazy, but, what if you are the worm. If you are the worm today, head as fast as you can back to the center of our green grass (Jesus).If you are the worm today and you find your self on the black top, STOP and find you way back to the green grass. DON'T take time to answer allot of questions like, why am I here or why did this happen to me or should I wait for someone to come get me. The sun is getting hotter and you are about to be cooked. You can get those answers after you are back in the green grass. If you are NOT the worm today and you see one on the sidewalk or the black top, Stop and give them a hand. They would be grateful and blessed as will you. It takes allot of worms to keep our green grass growing and we need all the help we can get.

Love ya worms, thanks for the lesson.

No comments: